Thursday, August 19, 2010

Within Our Own Walls

During my summer in Puebla, some friends took me to visit the Secret Convent of Santa Monica. Hidden in the heart of the city, Santa Monica housed daughters of wealthy Christians who had become pregnant out of wedlock. The silence of their shame still filled the convent's tight corridors and inner gardens. One large room felt hollow and empty, the focal point being a tall blank wall. Holes covered the wall and connected the empty room to a public cathedral on the other side. Girls would stand at the holes to watch their friends and family attend mass and reach for the smallest connection to their former lives. My friends told me that there were children who never saw the outside of the convent. They were born to their unwed mothers, raised by the nuns, and died within four walls tucked in the heart of a busy city...a city unaware of their existence.

Last week I was telling my brother-in-law Bobby about a friend of mine. I commented that she had an incredible heart, but beat herself up a lot. We both reflected that this seems to be the case with most Christians. We have perfected the art of self-deprecation.

We are born, raised, and die within the silent walls of our own shame.

"I shouldn't have said that to him." "I need to pray more." "Why can't I break this addiction?"

I wonder that we have lost the message of Christ so quickly. It's as if we BELIEVE Jesus lived and died...so that we could pass our lives beating ourselves up!

But Jesus came so that we might live, free from shame.

Romans 8:1, 14-16 "Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus...For those who are led by the Spirit of God are the children of God. The Spirit you received does not make you slaves, so that you live in fear again; rather, the Spirit you received brought about your adoption to sonship. And by him we cry 'Abba, Father.' The Spirit himself testifies with our spirit that we are God's children."

4 comments:

  1. this one made me cry, tiffy. i love you. phone date soon, please.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tiffy, God speaks to me through you. Thank you for this blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tiffany, I discovered your blog through a "blog shout out" on Facebook. SOOO glad I did! It has been a blessing to me. Your words bring Truth and encouragement.

    I miss our weekly prayer so very much. That was wonderful to have in college and I'm hoping to have that again here soon. God bless you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay, your blog is too comment-able, so here I go again:
    I heard a talk by the founder of one of the most successful AIDS fund raising organizations in the US. He spoke about how our nation's Protestant (specifically Quaker) heritage has led to this self-deprecating approach to charity that is hindering charitable organizations. His company is a for-profit company, and he's not sure that is a bad thing. His message was a summary of his book "Uncharitable: How Restraints on Nonprofits Undermine Their Potential". You might be interested in it. I think I have it but haven't read it.

    ReplyDelete