Monday, February 22, 2010

Commitment

Last night a friend admited that she stopped approaching someone in her dorm because their talking would keep her from doing something she really wanted to do...like sleep. Ha! Love the honesty! But seriously, the single life can plant us all on a sure fire path to self-centeredness.

And self-destruction.

I've been thinking a lot about the importance of commitment and covenant in communities. Anyone who has known me long, knows I'm a mover. I like to have A LOT of friends but not necessarily to have those friendships last long term. Let's be honest that takes effort.

And it can hurt.

Married friends have often compared their first three months of life with their partner to walking around with a mirror in front of them. My sister recounted a time having a fight with my brother-in-law, where he ended up curled up in the fetal position saying, "Why am I such a bad person?" (Truth be told she was feeling the same way.) Relationships will inevitably bring out the worse in us and show us just how awful we can be.

However, only when we commit in those relationships do we truly understand the power of grace and forgiveness in our lives. And the beauty of reconciliation.

So I'm challenging myself to revisit my commitments. Even though I don't "have" to...I really kind of do.

3 comments:

  1. it's a great idea to revist your commitments. fortunately though, you can pick a select few to really commit to & have flexible boundaries for the rest since not everyone will be in your life long term.

    and while you are single, you can still be a bit self-centered, but there is a fine line between actions that are plain selfish and actions that are self-preserving.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A somewhat cryptic comment, Krusty J. But I think I'm picking up what your saying. Probably more a personal encouragement after my weekend??? I think we may be the only people reading each others blog. Or at least you are the only one reading mine?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I started posting links on Facebook, then I started getting more comments. Strangely enough, my most commented entry was about pillow shams.

    But for yours, I added it to my Google Reader so I don't miss anything!

    ReplyDelete