Sunday, November 21, 2010

Never "Never" Land

I have this bowl of salt on my dresser.


Last summer, I listened to a podcast in which the speaker described the old testament city of Jericho. Jericho is probably most famous for its epic downfall. Remember marching around block forts in the church basement seven times with cheap tambourines and kazoos? Most people don't realize that after the Israelites destroyed Jericho, Joshua cursed the city, claiming any man who tried to rebuild its walls would lose both his first and last born sons. Later, a rebellious king attempted to resurrect Jericho and bore the consequences. However, when the prophet Elisha visited Jericho, some of the people of the town reminded him of the curse. Elisha asked them to bring him a bowl filled with salt, which he threw into the springs surrounding Jericho and cleansed the city of its curse. (See Joshua 6, 1 Kings 16:34, 2 Kings 2:19-22 for the full breakdown).

Obscure story? Is there a point?

Yes.

The story symbolizes the elimination of "never and always" thinking. The city was NEVER meant to be rebuilt, it would ALWAYS be cursed. Yet, Elisha (a mouth piece of God) contradicted this thinking.

"Never & Always" thinking is pretty common...

I will NEVER find love.

This ALWAYS happens to me.

He will NEVER change.

My parents will ALWAYS disagree with my decisions.

We will NEVER have a baby.

The rich will ALWAYS ignore the poor.

Pain will NEVER cease.

"Never & Always" thinking paralyzes us. We feel defeated before even trying, with the assumption that powerful supernatural forces will keep us from a better reality.

The bowl of salt on my dresser reminds me that change is possible, to believe in possibilities, to hope, and to reject "Never & Always" thinking.

2 comments:

  1. What a powerful image. What an invitation to hope.

    Great post, and I love the new look.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I NEEDED that word of encouragement!!! I guess I need the wisdom to accept and the things I cannot change, but to also be open to the possibility of change.

    ReplyDelete