Friday, March 5, 2010

God Loves Trashy Art

Scott Oliver created "The Valley" (pictured below) using a rotting arm chair from a salvage yard.
Oliver's piece was one of many among the 2009 SMART Art Competition, showcasing artists who choose trash as their primary medium.
I've been thinking about art created with trash...
God is like the ULTIMATE Trash Artist.
Let's revisit Noah's story for an example.
There's a connection between the language used in the creation story (Genesis 1) and the language used to describe the flood (Genesis 6-8). It's as if the author of Genesis wants to emphasize that God revisited creation during the flood. He re-created the world.
Having recreated the world, God gives Noah a promise for the future.
He starts (8:21), "I will never again curse the ground because of man, for the intention of man's heart is evil from his youth..." And He finishes (9:15) "...And the waters shall never again become a flood to destroy all flesh."
Basically God is saying, 'I know you're imperfect. I destroyed the imperfections once, and that was enough. Now I will work with who you are." Here at the beginning of the Bible, God claims the title of ULTIMATE Trash Artist. Instead of destroying trash, He will recreate once, then make art!

God recreated me once through Christ. My sin was destroyed on the cross. I am still sinful and my heart seems prone to imperfection. But Christ recreated me, and now God chooses to make art...He no longer desires to destroy.
If Scott Oliver can use a rotting arm chair to paint a breath-taking landscape; what can God do with your life? When others think I look like a rusty old snow shovel, God sees music.

1 comment: