Thursday, March 18, 2010

The Source of My Expectations

I've been sick the last few days. So, I was half-aware while reading more of NT Wright's book, "Surprised by Hope" on Tuesday. I'm not sure if my following thoughts accurately follow what Wright was saying...but I'm curious as to some of you people's thoughts. (So, some of you people should comment.)

Wright writes (HA!) that the foundation of our hope is in the resurrection of Jesus Christ. His thesis is that the resurrection is WAY cooler than we give it credit in the western, modern church. Agreed.

This is the part that may have been the delirium more than the actual text: but one thing that often robs the resurrection of its power is our belief in human effort. I felt like Wright was calling out even those who view social activism as the answer for the problems of the world.

Which is kind of disrupting for me, because I love social activism.

But, I also want to be formed not to form. So, I'm chewing on this one. I think the church needs to give more money to the poor, that we need to redefine our perception of 'justice,' and that we need to seek restoration.

But, how much emphasis do I put on the human side of that effort? Does this rob my focus from His redemptive power? Am I wasting time and effort, impatiently trying to change circumstances He is patient with? Why don't I pray more often for my friends and community?

Comment please...

4 comments:

  1. Dude, yeah, I think that tension is there in what he is trying to say. It is the fundamental tension of this whole "already/not yet," "inaugurated eschatology" paradigm. difficult stuff.

    I think the last part of the book is helpful in addressing the issue. Wright puts forth this beautiful, hope-filled belief that all that we do now for the kingdom is in fact eternal rather than temporal. We can't bring about the kingdom or fix everything now ourselves, but what we can do is actually worthy of being done and is part of what God is doing on a grand scale. He talks about not just activism, but also evangelism and art in this way. While his argument for the resurrection as the foundation of the Christian faith in the beginning of the book is exciting and fascinating, I think the last part of the book is my favorite. (and I think it might be less technical or "egg-head-y" if you feel like skipping ahead.) It really helped me to see that we are not wasting our time and effort by seeking change in the world.

    But we also need to remember that God is already working, it doesn't all fall on us, and we can seek direction in every specific situation about how and where we should expend our effort.

    I definitely don't have resolution in all of this. Most of the time it is just to difficult to think about, so I simply forge ahead with the things I am doing and trust that God will use my efforts even if they are misguided.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, I don't think we should stop doing the "human effort" to help the poor and create more justice in the world, but I think the church needs to learn how to bring about change the way Jesus did- supernaturally. I agree that we don't give enough credit to the resurrection. We don't realize the authority and power we have available to us because Jesus overcame sin and death and sent his Holy Spirit to live within us! If we could only understand this authority we have in Christ we would be obeying his commands to "heal the sick" and "cast out demons". A lot more than human effort, but how cool that God wants to work his redemptive power through us!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a sports analogy and a military analogy:

    Prov 21:31 says, "The horse is made ready for the day of battle, but victory rests with the LORD." This was my football theme verse when I played in high school. I would practice hard during the week. That was my privilege and responsibility. On Friday, though, whether my team won or loss was more a function of God's decision. I would work hard and try to make good decisions, and I wanted to win. I would even pray to win, but ultimately, "the victory belongs to the Lord."

    It is the same in life. Jesus showed us example after example of his concern for people materially as well as spiritually. He fed them, healed them, and taught them. I think we should follow his example. Social activism is not the "answer". Instead it is a privilege and a responsibility because of the resurrection's impact on our lives. What God does with that activism is his call.

    It is hard for humans to do both: be motivated to serve and rely on God for the outcome.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay Zek! Good to have you following. I think the sports analogy is helpful. Thanks.

    Ruth, I look forward to the end of the book. Hopefully I finish before your summer break.

    Sparky. I miss you. Hope all is well in Mexico. Who wants to know what Duncan thinks? Ooo oo! Me!

    ReplyDelete