Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Champagne for Breakfast

I hit my snooze too many times this morning. I usually try to wake up early enough to get at least 30 min. of quiet time in. But many mornings (like today), I end up hitting the snooze, and squeezing in a quick 5 min. "Yay God" moment before grabbing my coffee and heading to work.


Today it felt irresponsible. I'm not talking about legalistic guilt, but honest regret that I didn't give Him more of my time this morning.


Here's the deal. This weekend I'm going to celebrate THE most significant spiritual event in history. Hebrews refers to Jesus's life, death, and resurrection as "the culmination of the ages." The resurrection embodies hope! We have victory! We get second chances...and third chances, and fourth! The ugliness of our humanity no longer dominates the picture, because of Easter!


Yet somehow, every year, Easter seems to kind of sneak up on me. And I feel regret.


It's the same feeling I get when I look at the calendar and realize my mom's birthday is in a few days. I quick call my two older sisters (we don't ask my younger sister...because she will have had something thoughtful picked out for at least a month by now) to see what we can throw together and mail--if there's time--or deliver that will show we care. But deep down inside I feel like she deserves better. I feel like my gift does not display the magnitude of my love for her. And that's how I usually feel about Easter.


I'll enjoy the church service, time with family, and nice weather. But deep down inside I feel like Jesus deserves better. I feel like my lack of thought doesn't display the magnitude of my love for Him.


My friend Ruth was telling me last night that NT Wright says we should drink chapagne for breakfast on Easter. Which seems like a better option than hitting 'snooze'.


He is risen.


No comments:

Post a Comment