Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Expecting Good...About Others

Sunday I was sitting at Starbucks with my friend Kristen,

"I had this epiphany during church this morning."

Kristen smiles and nods. (I always have "epiphanies.")

"No really," I continue. "I was thinking about how I judge people pretty quickly and decide if I think they're a jerk. If I do think they're a jerk, I usually write them off and have no shame in making their life crappy."

I thought about the night before and shameless comments I had made to a guy I felt was a little too into himself.

"But, this morning...I felt like God said to me, 'I WANT TO RESTORE THEM TOO, TIFF.' And so I'm convicted to hope for the best in even people I think are inherently jerks."

Yesterday, I read Donald Miller's blog "The Stuff of Good Friendship." He talked about not judging people and hoping the best for them.

Ever notice how God repeats the messages he REALLY wants us to get?

So, I'm taking Miller's challenge. This month I'm trying to think the best of people. Instead of mentally writing them off, I'm going to ask God to show me the possibilities for that person and look for ways to encourage.

In the process, I'm suspicious that God is making ME less of an inherent jerk.

Peace, friends.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, great thoughts. I like epiphanies :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think Mr. Darcy went through the same deal. "My good opinion once lost is lost forever." Of course he was fictional, but it reminded me of that. I don't think you're a jerk.

    ReplyDelete