Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Embracing Weakness

“Before this, I had come to believe that what makes us human is our mind. But Adam keeps showing me that what makes us human is our heart, the center of our being where God has hidden trust, hope, and love. Whoever sees in Adam merely a burden to society misses the sacred mystery that Adam is fully capable of receiving and giving love. He is fully human—not half human, not nearly human, but fully, completely human because he is all heart. The longer I stay with Adam, the more clearly I see him as a gentle teacher, teaching me what no book or professor ever could.” -Henri Nouwen (Harvard Professor who left a career in academia to live in a L'Arche community.)

Dad says I changed while living in Minnesota. I credit four women who taught me to love reality, even if it seems ugly. All four women had varying disabilities. All four taught me how to live in ability.

One had the ability to make me feel loved. She would laugh with excitement and crane her neck up, "asking" for a hug every time I walked into the front door of her house.

Another had the ability to make me laugh at my mistakes. Her deep chuckle made dropping important medication or a backward sweater seem like pleasant surprises.

One had the ability to make me forget inhibition. My friend and I spent many mornings dancing around in her room, playing the air-guitar, looking like idiots with the slight hope of getting a smile.

And yet another had the ability to make me slow down. She reminded me that time never takes precedence over people.

It has been two years since I've moved back to Nebraska. In this time, two of these women have passed away. But I am forever changed because of my very able teachers.

“We don't know what to do with our own weakness except hide it or pretend it doesn't exist. So how can we welcome fully the weakness of another if we haven't welcomed our own weakness? .... So that, then we go down, what is it that is despicable in ourselves? And there are some elements despicable in ourselves, which we don't want to look at, but
which are part of our natures, that we are mortal.” -Jean Vanier (Founder of L'Arche Communities)

I'm ever embracing weakness, and its beauty is profound. With weakness I am able to forgive and be forgiven. I am able to laugh and rejoice without regret. I am able to dance, free from judgment.

With weakness...

I am able.

2 comments:

  1. Extra good post today, my friend. Thank you for your words.
    Meg

    ReplyDelete
  2. grandma, thank you for your consistent wisdom and encouragement.

    ReplyDelete