Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Little Moments:2

My sister, Jen, is eight months pregnant. And, the little guy is a mover. Other moms have let me feel their babies 'kick.' But the following awkward scenario usually plays out:

Mom: (Gasps and smiles really big.) Did you feel it?!
Me: (Feeling nothing...but not having the heart to disappoint.) I think so?
Mom: Here. (Readjusts my hand. Gasps/smiles again after a long pause.) There.
Me: (Still nothing. Maybe a hand cramp?) Ohhhh... That's so cool!

Honestly, I'm kind of surprised by how much love I already have for this bulge in my sister's stomach. I know I have felt this little guy move. I haven't seen his smile or heard him laugh. But I know he exists. And that's enough.

I work with a lot of kids who, I'm pretty sure, think their existence is meaningless. Sometimes little things, like forgotten promises, communicate their meaninglessness. Other times their meaningless is more overtly communicated through the words of their friends...teachers...parents.

And it breaks my heart.

Psychologist, Erik Erikson identified eight stages every person goes through in their social development. During a child's elementary age they face a crisis of existence. Am I worth something or a complete mistake?

I hate that people feel like mistakes. Anymore, I feel like a walking billboard for my work at Big Brothers Big Sisters. But without apologies, I really believe in mentoring. I've had front row seats to other attempts at helping people. But what seems most powerful for humanity is connection.

Because presence and connection validate existence.

They validate existence, in a way that is almost spiritual. I mean, God validated our existence through the same means.

It's unfortunate, but I think the word incarnation seems too familiar in the church, like a dusty altar. "Jesus is God incarnate...bla bla bla...next thought."

Incarnation literally means embodied in flesh. And this is what the Creator of all things chose as his secret weapon for redeeming humanity.

...presence.

It's not necessarily about having the right answers. It's not even about being perfect and never hurting others. We know the secret weapon! Humanity craves presence and connection--because with these the importance of our existence is confirmed. And when we know our existence matters, we heal.

Know someone who is hurting? Maybe your presence IS enough.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for your comments, Tiff. How right you are! Big hug, Zek's Tracy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, what a great thought. Right on. I think I have to chew on that for awhile.
    Sarah S.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your blog, Tiffany. You have insight into children and people that often goes unnoticed, even to parents. :-) Keep on writing!

    ReplyDelete