Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Am I Smarter Than a Fifth Grader? Thoughts on Dating.

I mentor a fifth grader named Becca. We eat lunch together every Tuesday. Some times we play Guess Who, and I kick her butt. Some times we play Mancala, and she kicks my butt. Other times we walk around the playground and talk in British accents...but every time I learn something from Becca.



I also know Becca from church. About a month ago, Becca and I were walking past a fairly attractive single man (whom I'm pretty sure BECCA has a crush on), when suddenly Becca pushed me into him and demanded, "Tell him what you said about him." Red-faced, I reeled to figure out what she was talking about and muttered something unintelligble before returning to her--not so amused.



The next week, over lunch, Becca kept talking about how nice Mr. Butler was. Later on the playground, Becca asked nicely, "I want you to meet Mr. Butler."



"Why do you want me to meet Mr. Butler?" My brow furrowed. (Note: Becca is sneaky.)



"Just come on!" she impatiently grabbed my arm and led me about two feet from Mr. Butler before turning a quick 180 and abandoning me, "I'm going to go find Hayley!"



Again, awkward and red-faced, I thought, "What a sweet child."



And I also heard Jeff Foxworthy asking me, "Are you smarter than a fifth grader?"



...Probably not.



The truth is I'm afraid to engage in relationships because I've been rejected and hurt before. And it's easy to slip into self-preservation mode. My friend Sara called the other night. As we talked about how difficult it was to be vulnerable with guys, Sara concluded, "I guess it's better than our other option...being alone." We sat in silence for a few seconds letting the truth sink in. Then we laughed at the simplicity of her realization.



I love working with kids because they have few inhibitions--and they remind me that every day is NEW. Kids take risks...



Risks that grown-ups should still be taking.



"Above all, love each other deeply, because love covers over a multitude of sins." -1 Peter 4:8

6 comments:

  1. "Other times we walk around the playground and talk in British accents..." Best thing I have read today. Hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a lucid and transparent observation, Tif!

    This reminds me of Naomi and Ruth. Ruth was quiet, unassuming, completely absorbed in gleaning fields and serving Naomi.

    Naomi is the one that pushes Ruth to do something completely risky and gutsy -- absolutely risky. Such behavior led to the continued lineage of Christ.

    So perhaps we should not only be risky, but allow the people God has placed in our lives to push us into risky situations?

    What would we do without Naomis and Beccas in our lives?

    ReplyDelete
  3. *Hersch, today she wanted to talk in Italian accents. Who does Italian well?!

    *Ket, yeah, the Ruth comparison is always interesting. I guess I only hesitate when risks are taken solely for the sake of being risky. I guess I have to ask myself more, am I avoiding the risk out of wisdom or self-preservation/fear? Does that make sense? I noticed your FB status, who are your "Naomi's"?

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's amazing how freaky, "Hi, I'm Kristen. How are you?" really is.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tif, risk doesn't mean be unwise and stupid. I completely agree. I think risk involves discerning the will of God. Sometimes staying put and waiting on him is just as risky as leaping forward on a new path.

    I have a few Naomis, one in particular is my friend Chris. She really pushes me to the edge and challenges me when I want to be my negative, self-preserving, self-absorbed, non-risk-taking self. But she's also wise. True story: If it wasn't for her pushing me to take a risk, I wouldn't have ever started attending YAFB or be friends with you and everyone else in our group.

    You are also a Naomi in that, you hold me accountable to my own list of risks and the excuses I make for not pursuing things when the opportunity presents itself - like drinking bubble tea. (Seriously, you are. But I couldn't resist throwing that in.)

    My other Naomi is Sarah.

    There are other more passive Naomis in my life who may not originally propose the risk, but they certainly propel and encourage me in my risk-taking behaviors.

    Good thoughts...good post. So glad you for your blog!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. P.S. So, who are your "Naomis" Tif?

    ReplyDelete