Monday, April 5, 2010

Bonding-A Guest Post from Grandpa

I'm so excited about this post! My grandpa has been working on writing the stories of his life. Yesterday he showed me the following story, which I asked if I could share on my blog:

The Heidtbrink family had traveled north from Gesham, NE, 600 miles to visit us in Clearbrook, MN. The day one big event was Tiffany falling & sustaining a nasty gash on her cheek. Our daughter Doris, Tiffy’s mother, had taken her to the Doctor for repair and was now getting her ready for bed.




It is important to note here that up to this point Tiffany had mastered Da Da & Ma Ma, not a very impressive vocabulary but extremely important.


I was standing by the bed looking at Tiffany’s wounded cheek when she opened her eyes and for the first time ever said, “Hi Grandpa.”

Life is composed of moments, each one an opportunity to add special colorful memories that bond us to each other, in this case the simple “Hi, Grandpa” became the bud that continues to blossom for Tiffany and me. This kind of bonding is available to all whom in childlike openness reach out to each other & let it happen.




One time Jesus asked His Disciples point blank Matthew 16:15-16 Who do you say that I am?" Simon Peter answered, "You are the Christ, the Son of the living God." Peter thought he loved Jesus, but, a short time later, he denied even knowing the Lord.




Then just before Jesus ascended to the Father, John 21:15 (NASB) ---, Jesus said* to Simon Peter, "Simon, son of John, do you love Me more than these?" and repeated it, each time Peter responded I’m your friend. A 3rd time Jesus said, “Are you really my friend,” and Peter grieved in his spirit replied, “Lord you know I am your friend.”




Peter never forgot that simple, honest loving, “Lord, you know I’m your friend.” the bud blossomed & from that day on Peter’s love never flagged even when, because of his love for Jesus, they were impaling him upside down on a cross.

(Grandpa with my nephew Liam.)

No comments:

Post a Comment